Saturday, April 01, 2006

Stencils



These are some rad stencils that I have photographed around Wellington. I like stencils because they represent planned art. Also, the artist has no financial incentive, so stencil art is not prey to "selling out".


These ones are some that I find amusing, or beautifully detailed, or politically relevant, or nostaligic. I'm sure you'll be able to match picture to description no trouble.

I wrote to the Wellington City Council to ask what their position on stencilling was. I observed that the Council appeared to have used stencil art to promote the "Spring Festival".
I am still awaiting a response, I think its been five months. They must be doing a legislative review.

There was a great exhibition/show at Happy where stencil artists created huge complex anatomically correct/ exaggerated / unlikely concepts and sprayed up a storm. I learnt that the way to spray for consistency is short, sweeping, strokes with a firm depressions of the nozzle. Unfortunately I hadn't my camera.

I am going to Melbourne tomorrow, I intend to snap up a storm of stencils over there, unless this cool art has all been washed off prior to the Commonwealth games. Apparently banksy called Melbourne a "Mecca for stencils" once.

I'll let you know whether its still true, tho perhaps with a little less authority than Banksy.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Oh yes, I wrote to the Wellington City Council to ask what their position on stencilling was. I observed that the Council appeared to have used stencil art to promote the "Spring Festival".
I am still awaiting a response, I think its been five months. They must be doing a legislative review.

darren said...

That buzzy bees stencil is pretty much the best thing ever
but I should point out that stencil art IS prey to "selling out", I think Sony, Microsoft, IBM and a few other lovely corporates have been busted stenciling stupid shit all over the place for a more 'urban focused' advertising presence.
I'm not sure who the genius at IBM was who thought stencilling the Linux penguin all over San Francisco would convince ANYONE to change their OS.

Helen said...

Good point. At least if they identify their product, they can be busted by the council. As soon as the council sets up an anti-corp detective group, that is.